It’s been one of these weeks..I take that back..it’s been a couple of those weeks. Nothing too serious or life-changing, just a few unexpected inconveniences and expenses, starting with a dead modem last Monday, then ending (hopefully) with a leaking (and also dead) hot water heater this Monday. Add into the mix a huge order from one of my photography client and trying to get a bunch of stuff together for a yard sale this weekend, and I end up with little time left for any blog-worthy cooking. But even when things get unexpectedly hectic and dinner ends up being take-out or leftovers, I at least try to cook myself a fast but filling breakfast or lunch, especially on the days when I plan on spending a couple of hours at the gym.
Lately I’ve been getting bored with my usual breakfast egg sandwich so I changed things up by using my three favorite breakfast staples..eggs, cheese, and avocado..in a slightly different configuration. Grilled cheese sandwiches are one of my favorite comfort foods, but also one of those foods I don’t eat much anymore because they’re typically loaded with calories. But like with so many of my favorite not-so-healthy foods, I’ve figured out some tricks to make grilled cheese a little healthier. First, I use either ultra-thin sliced cheese or an ounce of shredded cheese. I also use a lot less butter..I think I used to use about 2 tablespoons of butter for one grilled cheese..crazy, right? But now I just melt about a teaspoon of butter in a non-stick skillet, then once it’s melted I brush some of the butter on the bread…just enough to still give you that buttery flavor and crispy bread.
The trick with the avocado is to mash it up a little instead of using slices..the avocado slices just kinda slide around and make a mess, but if you mash it up, it almost acts like a glue to hold the melted cheese and fried egg together. I’ve tried it with salsa mixed in, but it makes it a little too messy and watery for me, so instead I have my salsa on the side and just dip my sandwich in it..so much easier. And of course I have to have hot sauce with my eggs.
So if you’re also having a stressful week and craving some comfort food, you need to give this a try. Or if you’re having a wonderfully calm and uneventful week, you still need to give this a try.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices lite bread
- 2 slices ultra-thin cheddar cheese or 1 ounce grated
- ¼ of an avocado, mashed
- your favorite salsa and/or hot sauce for dipping
- In a nonstick skillet melt half of the butter over medium-low heat, using a silicone brush to spread the butter around the pan. Fry your egg in the butter to desired doneness; set aside and keep warm.
- Melt the remaining butter in the skillet and brush a little on one side of both pieces of bread. Place once slice of bread in the skillet and top with one slice of cheese (or half of the grated cheese), half of the mashed avocado, the egg, the remaining avocado, cheese, and the other slice of bread.
- Cook over medium-low heat until the bread is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until the cheese is melted and the other side of the sandwich is lightly browned.
- Serve with your favorite salsa or hot sauce on the side for dipping.