old bay hummus

oldbay9

Did you see the Ravens/Broncos game on Saturday??!! I still can’t believe they won! If you missed it, you missed one of the best football games ever. And of course, being a Ravens fan, I’m only a tiny bit biased. Yes, I’m also a Redskins fan, but, well, we won’t even go there right now.

So to celebrate the Ravens win, I thought it would be fun to share a couple Maryland-inspired recipes this week, just in time for the next huge..huge..HUGE game against the Patriots this Sunday. And if the Ravens can manage another win, next stop..Super Bowl!! How great would a Ravens/49ers Super Bowl be??

oldbay1

Having lived 99% of my life in Maryland, and the other 1% in Virginia, I just assumed everyone knew about Old Bay. It’s a kitchen staple in this part of the country. And it’s so good on seafood, especially crabs and steamed shrimp, but there are plenty of other ways to use it too…like in hummus!

oldbay3

Our local grocery stores sometimes carry small containers of Old Bay hummus, but making it at home saves money and calories. Hummus is easily lightened-up by using just a touch of olive oil and tahini and adding some extra lemon juice and a little water to bring it to the right consistency. It was so good that my son and his girlfriend were eating it out of the food processor bowl while I was snapping some shots of the finished product. It’s perfect with pita chips or veggies, but it’s just as good as a sandwich spread, which is my son’s favorite way to enjoy it.

 oldbay4

So if you’re looking for something different and a little healthier to enjoy while watching this weekend’s games, you have to give this a try. (Even if you are a Patriots or Falcons fan…)

hummus1

 
Prep time

Total time

 

Ingredients
  • 3 cups cooked garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (1 large can or 2 small cans)
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon unsalted tahini
  • 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped (optional..only use if you love garlic)*
  • 2-4 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
  • 2-4 tablespoons water
  • salt

Instructions
  1. Place all ingredients except the water and salt into a large food processor.
  2. Process to blend ingredients, then add water 1 tablespoon at a time until the hummus is creamy and similar in consistency to a slightly thin cookie batter. Add additional water or lemon juice if hummus is too thick.
  3. Taste and add salt and/or additional Old Bay to your liking.
  4. Serve with pita chips or veggies.

Notes
If you’re not a fan of garlic, leave it out. The seasoning from the Old Bay will give the hummus plenty of flavor. When I made this the first time, I added 2 large garlic cloves and it was over-powering, so just be careful with the amount you use. If you want a milder garlic flavor, try roasted or sauteed garlic or a little garlic powder.

Comments: 4

  1. Gail January 16, 2013 at 3:18 am Reply

    What is tahini??

  2. Lisa January 17, 2013 at 2:29 am Reply

    It’s a paste made from sesame seeds. You should be able to find it either in the ethnic food section, the organic section, or maybe with the peanut butter. It has the consistency of natural peanut butter and will have a layer of oil on top that you need to stir into the rest of the paste.

    Do you all have Old Bay in California?

  3. Karly January 18, 2013 at 10:38 am Reply

    This looks delicious! I love Old Bay, but never would have thought to add it to hummus!

    • Lisa January 18, 2013 at 12:55 pm Reply

      Thanks! If you like Old Bay and hummus, I’m sure you’ll love this hummus. If you’re not sure if you’re going to like it in your hummus, make it without it first then just add a little of the Old Bay at a time. Let me know how it turns out for you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *